Thursday 23 June 2011

You know you're in trouble when you read a book about yourself. BIG trouble.

So this is where it all went wrong. I came home from Uni, clambered up the stairs, dramatically lugging my case behind me, in a bid to gesture some help from my brother who is standing, and in fact laughing at my feeble attempt. Swinging my bedroom door open, I find my mum has left me a book that she feels I will like - bare this in mind, she has already read this book, cover to cover.

It's not secret that the most intellectual reading I do comes from Cosmo, or a chick flick that can consume my mind for a series of several hours at a time. I love reading and adore writing, but both of these usually spur from a light hearted, comical source. 'To Kill a Mockingbird' aside, I'd rather just read mush where a happy ending is always included in the small print.

I'm not doubting Danielle Steel as a writer, nor her ability to mix romance with powerful cultural issues. BUT I somewhat resent this book of hers taking up space on my desk at this particular moment in time. Here's why..

Title: Big Girl

Blurb: For Victoria, growing up isn't a happy experience, (Ok so that's a little unfair of me to compare to). Born to picture-perfect parents, she never feels pretty enough to meet their expectations. But when her parent's have a second child, Victoria is thrilled. (So lets just role reverse this and say I was born first, sorry Matt!) And since this child is the image of them, her parents finally have the perfect child they always wanted. Meanwhile, Victoria still never seems to get it quite right - she battles with her weight (understatement of the year!), she's told she'll never find a man if she's too clever, (I'm told I'll never find a man full stop), and the one career she feels passionate about her parents don't approve of, (there's no money in it!).

And so Victoria decides to move to New York to fulfil her dreams and escape her family. (Excellent choice on my part) Though her new life is exciting, the old temptations remain, and she continues to wage war with the scales, (greaaaat, looks like the scales are going to be my enemy for longer than I anticipated!). 


Products\593\063\9780593063064_m_f.jpgMums statement of "This made a good read, she reminded me of someone very much" was the ultimate insult and has in fact left me turning the pages faster than ever. I'm half way through and intend to discover whether or not I do eventually drop a stone.. and find a man.

In the words of my character
"Watch out, world. Here I come!"


Thanks mum. Love you too! x

No comments:

Post a Comment